Connections

Connections

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday Through Way


A new addiction is budding in me. I have read about using copper as mordant and I recently purchased a piece of copper for fifty cents at a nearby thrift store. I cut it apart and placed a piece of vinegar soaked cloth on top of this ring on a piece of paper hoping to catch some of the color onto the paper. It's sitting on a metal cookie sheet so I got a double dip of color rust and copper onto the paper but I was most amazed with is the beauty of the green from the copper. It is so bright and beautiful and then I can't go with out being reminded that this is created due to degradation. Which then reminds me of earlier posts on the beauty in brokenness. I suppose that the real awareness is that I am growing older every day and as I muddle through the difficulties and joys of life I am aware of how my body is breaking down. I fell the other day on the way into a thrift store. What was remarkable was that a young man near by that was doing construction work ran over and asked if I was ok. This rather surprised me and I didnt respond right away but he still stood there. He just kept asking over and over if I was ok. He asked if I hurt my hip and I said no I hit my knee and I rolled up onto the knees and steadied myself to make the ascension to an upright position haha ... and he said "you got it?" I said I will take your hand thank you. And with that he offered me his hand and I pulled myself with his help up. I straightened my clothes as I was telling him thank you so much for coming over and even asking about me and he was walking away telling me .. no problem, just glad your ok. And suddenly I thought how silly to have tripped over a curb and am I really just getting old and absentminded? The main thought was I'M OLD! I'm really not that old but I am a grandma. So a lot of time has passed. I don't think that we go around thinking about the passing of time every day but just when milestones or events happen that sort of cause us to think about it. I survived with nothing broken a slight bruise to the knee and one elbow and more bruise to my mind knowing that life will bring me more frailties as i age but with it hopefully more wisdom and acceptance and with that peace and serenity. No I'm not giving into old age, I went out and purchased a bike to get myself into some better shape so if I should fall it won't be with a lot of weight behind it. And a push mower YEAH!!! to have a reliable method of trimming the grass when I can't or don't wish to fix my gas powered mower. ANd this will also give me more exercise. And in between I will continue to play with dye's and fabric and drawing trees or little girls, dogs or what ever else is my fancy. I will forever be creator artist remaker of things that make me happy. For me I am grateful to care less and less what others think and to make my own way what ever way that is. Today there is much beauty in degraded copper, there is so much more yet to explore. I will share what I can of those travels. Blessed day to all you who stop to look.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for that blessing, Tammy, and I'm glad you were OK. These photos are absolutely, heart-stopping GORGEOUS!!!! The turquoise would make a New Mexico sky jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!!! I do so love these photos too. I am so inlove with the richness of the green/blue. And I can easily imagine the beauty of a sky that has those colors having lived in a coastal town years back I was often struck by the absolutely beautiful colors that the sky painted upon the setting of the sun. The ways that the suns setting would change the palate of blues into rich turquoise purple sunsets was always a thrill to see. I miss it. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi tammy --
    i so appreciate what you wrote about aging---it was quite beautiful--
    i am 64 ---i think you are younger --but we are dealing with our own adventures in aging.
    i love that so many of us in the cloth world are of similar ages.
    now--off to find the walnut dyeing !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. at last your copper paper (from our natural dye ning)
    What a lovely story about falling and the young man

    love
    yvette

    ReplyDelete